In February we purchased a flat-bed scanner. I had boxes and boxes of school notes, scrapbooks, and memorabilia that I couldn’t bear to throw away previously. One of the boxes was full of binders, one binder for each year I was in school. It was simply too much. Now that I’ve scanned them all, I feel great about trashing most of it.
Scanning takes a lot of time and I’m slowly getting through my boxes. My goal is to reduce all of my schoolwork to one binder and my scrapbooks to two binders. I want to pass something useful and interesting to my children rather than dumping boxes of stuff on them for them to wonder what to do with.
All of this scanning is giving me a clearer idea of how I want to document Emma’s and our family’s life. It will involve scanning regularly and taking a serious look at what we have, and deciding if what we have is worth keeping.
It’s been nice to have everything scanned, what I’ve done so far anyway. It’s easier to look at the paperwork and find things. I can scroll through the pages and zoom in. It takes up no physical space at all. I’m glad I kept a lot of my stuff so that I could digitize it. But I sure wish I had had one a long time ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment