Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Which is harder? Smaller or Bigger?

My mother is in Idaho helping my brother James and my sister-in-law Brooke with their brand-new baby, who I got to meet just last week!  James and Brooke live in a small cute apartment complex near BYU Idaho.  It’s just the perfect size for a young married couple with a brand-new baby, but it does require a lot of work to keep everything in their proper place, and some things simply don’t have a place.  My mom made the point, “It’s harder to keep a small place clean than a big place.”

I’ve been thinking a lot about that because Ben and my condo is tiny.  It’s bigger than Brooke and James’ place, but we feel cramped, and it’s not just because we have more stuff than we should.  I find myself constantly picking up everything all the time.  If one thing is out of place, the house looks messy. 

On the other hand, a bigger house has more places that need cleaning.  There’s a temptation to buy more stuff for it.  Maybe a bigger house has large maintenance issues.

I wonder what the perfect-size house is.  What is “just right?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment