Sunday, March 27, 2011

My Favorite Way of Scheduling the Day

After trying a myriad of techniques to scheduling my day, I finally settled on my favorite solution.

1) Write down what I want to do in the day.

2) Stick a time next to them.

3) Then sort the list by time.

In the past, I did it backwards.  I started out with a chart of the day, with the times on the left side, then I tried filling in the empty timeslots.  Well, what’s the difference, you might ask?  It’s psychological.  Somehow starting with the empty timeslots made me feel slave to the timeslots, when really the timeslots are supposed to be working for ME!

Here’s an example:

1) A few of the things I want to do tomorrow:

-Read scriptures

-Play with Emma (read, play piano, toys)

-Exercise

-Make food for Emma and freeze it

-Make a phone call to the optometrist

-Do laundry

-Go on a walk with Emma

-Shower

-Figure out food for the day and tomorrow

2) Times I want to do them:

9:20 Read scriptures

8:00 Play with Emma (read, play piano, toys)

7:00 Exercise

11:00 Make food for Emma and freeze it

11:30 Make a phone call to the optometrist

8:00 Start laundry

11:45 Fold laundry

1:00 Go on a walk with Emma

9:00 Shower

10:00 Figure out food for the day and tomorrow

3) Sort the list:

7:00 Exercise

8:00 Play with Emma (read, play piano, toys)

8:00 Start laundry

9:00 Shower

9:20 Read scriptures

10:00 Figure out food for the day and tomorrow

11:00 Make food for Emma and freeze it

11:30 Make a phone call to the optometrist

11:45 Fold laundry

1:00 Go on a walk with Emma

There’s a different way of scheduling the week.  More on that later, if I ever truly figure it out.

2 comments:

  1. I like it. Sometimes it's hard to feel blocked in by the time - especially with an infant, but I like the way you organized it. It helped me see that sometimes there's another way to organize. I love lists...this is a fun blog to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! It turns out that the day didn't go at all like I had planned ... of course! Still nice to imagine what it could be like right? :)

    ReplyDelete